The Importance of a Carbon Monoxide Detector in Your Home

When you are moving into a home the very first thing you should do is to be sure your fire alarms and carbon monoxide detectors are working and properly installed. If you move into the house and notice there are no Carbon Monoxide Detectors than installing one should be the very first thing on your list before your family moves in.

“According to the Nation Fire Protection Association around 93% of homes have smoke alarms. But, the consumer Product Safety Commission estimated that only 15% of homes have Carbon Monoxide Alarms.” This needs to change; those without a carbon monoxide detector in their home are putting themselves and their families at extreme risk. As of right now, carbon monoxide is the leading cause of death by accidental poisonous gas; it is a very deadly gas. Carbon monoxide is colorless, odorless and tasteless, making it extremely dangerous and difficult to detect without a properly installed detector.

Some symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning start off much like a common cold or the flu, you get headaches, dizziness, nausea and vomiting. Then you will become irritable, possibly have difficulty breathing, and get sleepy, without knowing the signs you will eventually die without even knowing what was going on.

Carbon monoxide is produced by fuels like charcoal, oil, propane and other natural gases, by not being burned completely. When you inhale the carbon monoxide it enters the bloodstream and deprives the heart and brain from much needed oxygen. Even scarier is that even your common household appliances can cause carbon monoxide as well if they are not installed properly. If your refrigerator, stove, dryer, are electric you are fine, but if they are gas or if you have a gas fireplace then you could be at risk if they have not been maintained regularly.

Other sources that produce carbon monoxide in your home are running cars in your garage, it can happen easier than you think. It’s winter and your garage is cold so you start the car ahead of time and you get side tracked, next thing you know you have changed your daily plans and are not going out, but did you forget to turn off the car? Carbon monoxide can easily spread from the garage to your home, by the time you realize it, it might be too late.

We all need to have a carbon monoxide detector properly installed into our homes immediately; just a few years ago it was something most homes didn’t realize. Now there are constant advertisements to inform you just how important it really is, carbon monoxide poisoning is a silent killer claiming hundreds of lives each and every year.

You would not move into a home without properly installed fire alarms knowing how many lives they save a year, why would you even consider not getting a carbon monoxide detector? Have your new home inspected, make sure all vents, pipes, chimneys, water and gas heaters are in the clear, and get a professional to install your much needed, lifesaving carbon monoxide detector.

For More Information About Read Codes for Fire Safety Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Detectors in New Homes.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s